Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Mueller Jim Mueller is offline

Default Selenium Rectifier / Metal Rectifier queries

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
"David" wrote:

"David Powell" wrote in message
news
In article
,
John Byrns in
sci.electronics.repair wrote:

In article ,
David Powell wrote:

In article
,
" in
Hi
Copper Oxide have the advantage for things like meters
and battery charges because they have a low forward
voltage drop. The primary problem is that it has a very
low
reverse voltage. Even in charger applications, it took
a stack of many junctions to hold off the reverse
voltage
of a 12volt charger.
Their downside for meter use is low bandwidth. Fine for
a 50 / 60 Hz
electrician's testmeter, useless for audio. Often way
off at 400 Hz.
I thought the rectifiers used in the old VU meters, as
well as various
telephony applications, were Copper Oxide? If Copper
Oxide doesn't work
in audio frequency applications what sort of rectifier
stacks were used
in these audio applications?

Big plates like in battery chargers = big capacitance = poor
audio response.
Very small plates like in meters = small capacitance = good
audio response.

I'll buy that.

The copper oxide meter rectifiers I have seen are about 3/16" in
diameter. The one in the battery charger I have is about 2" X 4".

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.