Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default Stuck muffler screw

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:22:40 -0800 (PST), stryped wrote:

What would be the best way to get it out without damaging anything.
Phillips head is buggered out. I have tried WD 40 andvice grips to no
avail.

This is on a small engine. I tried a propane torch and vice grips too
but did not work. I have aceytlene but was a little afraid I might
damage the cylinder or something?

I bought a bolt extractor from HF. Have not tried that much yet.

If there is access use a dremel to cut a slot, then use an impact driver.

You might get away with an impact driver phillips (if you have not yet
tried one) if the head is not too badly damaged.

I have found the the best way to use an impact driver is to carefully seat
the bit, carefully take up the rotational slack, and carefully hit it
REALLY REALLY HARD with a BIG hammer ("carefully" in the third step meaning
hit the end of the tool instead of my thumb).

If that does not work then if the screw is holding something on that has
some thickness, grind the head off flush with the something, then remove
the something, then go after the stump with your vicegrips.

Use some grease on the threads of the new screw.