Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:18:21 -0500, wrote Re Whar
to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:56:02 GMT, Kadaifi wrote:

I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

Tell him that you will give him room and board and he can determine
how he can use his re-modeling skills to pay his keep. Tell him that
it is up to him to determine what is fair. If he is truly appreciative
then you will get a great deal. If he is just looking for a handout or
has a problematic lifestyle you'll soon find out and can remove him
from the deal.

Excellent suggestion.