Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Lathe Accy Grind Polish GBI Superfinisher

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:29:26 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:
snip
I've never done any precision grinding on a lathe or other machines, and
taking just one ten-thousandth off of a diameter seems a bit astonishing to
me.

--------
Super finishing is a relatively old process, developed I believe
by Chrysler in the late 20s or early 30s. It was mainly applied
to main and rod bearing journals. The intent is to take an
already smooth surface and knock off the peaks to get as much
bearing surface a possible, so 0.0001 or less was all that was
required/desired.

It is now called micro-honing in many cases
http://www.hmdoyal.com/products/carb...bonded/hsf.htm

still being done for race engines and other very high end
applications
http://www.xtremefinishing.com/
http://www.manmonthly.com.au/Article...ess/77588.aspx

air driven tool post units are still available from japan
http://www.toyo-at.co.jp/en/products...ishinghead.htm

Good luck with your new toys, and let the group know what you
make.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: