Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Lathe Accy Grind Polish GBI Superfinisher

Yep, lots of terms for real professionals/tradesmen, Ed. For my purposes,
shiny means purty, but primarily smooth, and maybe straight.

I don't have a clue of how to attain a specific finish, but I could probably
sit and stare at one of those sample plates/gages for about an hour.

A machinist friend, not just a hobbiest like myself, has told me about
developing superpolishing techniques at Westinghouse decades ago, on big
parts for defense contracts.
A small technological edge could mean big contracts.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Maybe someone here in RCM has seen or used this lathe accessory.

http://www.kwagmire.com/shop/superfi...rfinisher.html

I suspect that this may have been a short-lived amazing new product that
never really caught on, maybe from the '80s or '90s.
There is no motor, so it may have been intended as a cheaper alternative
to a toolpost grinder. If you've priced new toolpost grinders, you know
how much they can cost, but I don't know how much this lathe kit sold
for.

If anyone knows anything about these Superfinishers, I'd enjoy hearing
about them.

I don't recognize that one, but superfinishing and superpolishing were
used for high-end shaft applications a few decades ago. I don't know about
now.

Those two terms have specific meanings, BTW, which relates to the way
pressure is applied to the work. I haven't tried to look them up but get
back to us if you don't find anything. I probably have descriptions in one
of my manufacturing process books.

--
Ed Huntress