Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

Kadaifi wrote:

I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I
don't question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East)
for a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide
room and board.

Any thoughts?

It is a bad idea on several levels. First, IMO, that doing business or
financial deals with relatives is a bad idea.
I would have to know a lot more before advising to go ahead ... what
relationship? Why does he not go
elsewhere for work? Why is he homeless? How old? Married? Debts?

A mature adult needs their own living space.......living under your roof
makes him responsible to you, and
in combination with doing work on your home, it just seems to invite too
many conflicts. What would
be the rule for work hours, having guests, length of stay? If you set a
time limit and he still "can't find
work", what will you do? How long can he stay before he establishes
legal residency? A competent
carpenter can certainly find work, although it may be another vocation
for a time.

I have know a couple of elderly folks who, when they passed away, left
lists of all the little "loans"
to family. I decided long ago that if family needed money, it would be
a gift and not a loan. If
I can afford to lend it, I can afford to give it, and it is a done
deal. No worry for either party
and no "look at all I've done for you". And it wouldn't be time after
time, because folks either
take responsibility for finances or lose privileges. What doesn't kill
ya/ makes ya' stronger. And
smarter.