Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Straightening tube/valve pins

PeterD wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:21:35 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

setting the pins in heat settable fire-cement.

That 'fire-cement' doesn't ring a bell here in the US, have a brand
name I could look up? Sounds like an interesting product.

I use both types for all sorts of uses.
But mainly the heat setting type as its cheaper for bulk use compared to
epoxy and it of course takes heat. It can crack so reinforce with car repair
glass fibre/fiber mesh if that is critical.
Recently bought, as I used up the previous 1Kg, tub of the heat setting type
called Pyrum fire cement, so still sold in the UK.
To cure, I use a hot air gun on a low setting for an initial surface
hardening , as in this straightener job. Removed the valves (I used one at
either end of the pins when it came to it, each covered with ptfe tape to
keep the valves clean) after intial surface set. Then heat up at full whack
to fully harden the resin , its then as hard as stone in a few minutes.

The other type , non setting, trade name may not exist any more Hermetite
flue jointing compound. Mine is probably 20 years old but still useable. I
tend to only use it when I've robbed a right V & W halogen bulb from one
dicroic mount and are having to, suck it and see, adjusting the position in
another size/shape of reflector, also robbed.

If you find a USA trade or generic name and post back here, I will add to my
UK/USA technical translator file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England