Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Straightening tube/valve pins

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:35:11 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

In this case someone has been moving all 12AX7 type tubes around and
forcing
them in or something. Anyway pins are bent and drunken and deforming the
sockets. Any tips for straightening ? A brass block with precisely
engineered holes to push back all into alignment ? a metal cylinder with 9
peripheral axial channels to go inside the pinning and something to run
around on the outer sides of the pins ?

They're being sold as antiques on eBay. Search for "pin
straightener". For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310087716127
You'll also find them mixed into tube/valve collections at hamfests
and flea markets. I have one somewhere.

Incidentally, in the bad old days of 16K and 64Kbit dynamic RAM, in
dual inline 14/16/18 pin packages, I had the same pin straightening
problem. I had a local machine shop fabricate a suitable IC pin
straightener.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/pin-staightener.jpg
I was planning on making my fortune selling these, but the
SIM/DIMM/SIP packages appeared, making DIP memory instantly obsolete.
Oh well.

--
Jeff Liebermann

I still have a DIP IC pin straightner in my toolbox. It has a central
mandrel which is spaced for standard DIPs - your common 14 or 16 pin logic
ICs for instance - on one side, and for wide DIPs like EPROMs, on the other.
Either side, is a spring loaded arm, with a shoulder made to butt against
the mandrel when the tool is squeezed closed in your hand. Made from hard
blue plastic, it is a bit like one of those squeezy hand muscle exercisers
or stress relievers. You simple drop your IC with snaggled pins, over the
appropriate mandrel, and squeeze. When you let go, your pins are back in
line. Obviously, it only corrects pitch on the wide axis, but if the pins
are out of line with respect to each other, you can quickly correct that
with needle nosed pliers. A most useful tool, which has seen much service
over the 25 years that I have owned it.

Arfa