Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Shop Lighting opinions

-MIKE- wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
If they have changed the packaging (they do from time to time to
frustrate such returns), just buy a new one, slip the old one in
the
new box and return that one.

They (retailers) know that a significant percentage of this Chinese
stuff newer saw a QC test and count on the customer to accept the
premature failure and buy a new one while calculating a higher
"Returns & Allowances" factor in determining their "Markup." to
account for the high crap rates.

Otherwise known as theft.

And it makes problems for other people. I got a backup power supply
once on which some asshole had done that with the battery. Also got a
modem, didn't work, took it back to BestBuy, swapped it out, that one
didn't work, talked to the store manager and ended up going through
five of the things before we found one that worked. And at Harbor
Fright, one time, I got a nail gun that was supposed to come with a
package of nails--no nails--again went through most of the store's
stock before we found one with nails. It amazes me that people will
steal a damn little box of nails.

This is one example of the failure of ethics and enlightened self
interest to adequately replace the fear of an all-knowing and vengeful
God in moderating human behavior.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)