Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Shop Lighting opinions

If they have changed the packaging (they do from time to time to
frustrate such returns), just buy a new one, slip the old one in the
new box and return that one.

They (retailers) know that a significant percentage of this Chinese
stuff newer saw a QC test and count on the customer to accept the
premature failure and buy a new one while calculating a higher
"Returns & Allowances" factor in determining their "Markup." to
account for the high crap rates.

Otherwise known as theft.

Well, returning a product that fails in an unreasonable period of time (but
outside the store's return policy) isn't quite theft. In the case of
something the seller knows is likely to die an early death it's more like
revenge than theft. Maybe revenge isn't all that admirable either, but
neither is selling junk.

Rationalize it all you want, it's theft.

Your option is to not buy junk. But that involves being an informed
consumer... which is what is happening in here... in this thread.

In any case, in my experience, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot will all take
back "a product that fails in an unreasonable period of time (but
outside the store's return policy)."

We have the option of being honest about it, or run the risk of having a
misdemeanor charge on our record. For most people, however, the
misdemeanor never enters into the equation as a deterrent. For most, the
simple fact is the price of their integrity much higher than $8.99.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--