Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine rebuild update.

On Jan 13, 10:14*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:79438d95-
:

If it was the carb, when I tried to restart it while warm why would

it
not start with startign fluid?

BTW... if your fuel level in the bowl is high, it would completely
prevent the motor from starting when hot.

The fact that you had fuel leaking out is a good indication that
either you bent the float tang while messing with it, or that the
needle valve is sticking open, due to dirt or a burr on the seat or
needle face.

Excessively high fuel level in the bowl can actually start leaking
fuel into the bowl vents, acting like a super-rich jet needle setting.

I don't have a clue where the Tecumsah level should be (exactly), but
half to two-thirds full is a great place to start.

LLoyd

The spark seemed ok on my spark tester.

The thing is I have fooled with this thing over a week. It just last
night started leaking fuel.

It is hard to start when cold and hot.

One last thing I got to thinking, The valve cover hose that goes from
the valve cover to the carb is missing. (It never had one). Would this
cause a low compression reading?