Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

Default Straightening tube/valve pins

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:35:11 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

In this case someone has been moving all 12AX7 type tubes around and forcing
them in or something. Anyway pins are bent and drunken and deforming the
sockets. Any tips for straightening ? A brass block with precisely
engineered holes to push back all into alignment ? a metal cylinder with 9
peripheral axial channels to go inside the pinning and something to run
around on the outer sides of the pins ?

They're being sold as antiques on eBay. Search for "pin
straightener". For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310087716127
You'll also find them mixed into tube/valve collections at hamfests
and flea markets. I have one somewhere.

Incidentally, in the bad old days of 16K and 64Kbit dynamic RAM, in
dual inline 14/16/18 pin packages, I had the same pin straightening
problem. I had a local machine shop fabricate a suitable IC pin
straightener.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/pin-staightener.jpg
I was planning on making my fortune selling these, but the
SIM/DIMM/SIP packages appeared, making DIP memory instantly obsolete.
Oh well.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D