Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default It's got me beat ...

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:02:20 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Agreed. But I think it was a valid point. And (though it probably doesn't
matter to you what I think), it seems to me that you /are/ running your
business in a fair and ethical manner.

Dental xrays cover only a very small area. The largest is 2.7x5.4cm.
What you want is one of those bomb detector xray machines used at
airports and government buildings. The aluminum case will be a
penetratin problem, but the wood sides should be transparent.

I recently had some KUB (kidneys, ureters, and bladder) xrays done at
the local hospital. I asked if they could xray small electronics. I
was thinking more about reverse engineering multi-layer PCB's. After
some muddled officious logic, the hospital refused due to some vague
"risk", whatever that may be. My guess is that they just didn't want
to risk they very expensive new xray machine on such projects. There
was also an issue of the cost. Lacking any other guidelines, the
estimated price would have been about the same as the KUB xrays, or
$200US per digital print (including cash discount).

I'm thinking a CT scan might be more useful. I also had to run an
abdominal CT scan for about $1000US (including cash discount).
However, I didn't ask at the radiology imaging service if it were
possible. Probably not, due to the same "risk" and cost issues.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Cultivating a contact in a university archaeology department would perhaps
be more suitable and cheaper.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England