Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Preferred hollowing tool(s)

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:43:54 -0500, Woody wrote:

I think I'm going to look at a hollower with an arm brace (either
Stewart or Sorby) for now. Later, if I get really enamored with hollow
forms, I'll take the plunge for the Monster.

~Mark.

Those things scare the hell outta me....
If I get a catch, (not that any of us actually do), I don't want the cutting
tool fastened to my arm... Maybe I'm just getting old.. lol

Not that I've actually used my wallet crowbar and gotten one for myself,
but the one time I made it to a guild of NH woodworkers turning thing,
one of the guys who uses them pointed out (and demonstrated) that unless
your lathe is absurdly overpowered (not a good idea) you simply stall
the lathe (or slip the belt, depending) if you get a catch with one of
these - the leverage is on your side of the toolrest, in a big way. IIRC
he was using a "horribly underpowered" 1-1/2 HP lathe to demo on, and
used a 2 or 2-1/2 HP at home.