Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need advice on making flooring

On Jan 12, 1:20*pm, "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:

I would throw my pride out the window and go buy some
flooring.

But one person's task is another's recreation.

Only until you have to have the bits replaced or if they are good
ones, resharpened.

IIRC, Pat Warner said (excuse me if I get this wrong!) that the
average router bit will go about 250' before sharpening.

Now... think about 1" thick HARD maple that has been drying for 8
years. Think how hard that stuff must be. And at one inch thick,
I'll bet you don't get far without a resharpening.

The of course, since you are going with such thick material it is an
excellent idea to relieve the back with some grooves to help keep it
in check when it moves. How many more bits would that burn up?
Looking around, just buying the male/female bits could be a few
hundred bucks.

If you really want to make your own, go to your local flooring store
and check out their profiles, then take into consideration the
thickness of your material. You can get an idea of what you need to
do from a quality floor manufacturer/supplier.

Robert