Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default possible/easy to change an appliance to be a dual voltage one?

In article , wrote:
GregS wrote:
First thing to do is contact the manufacturer and see if there is a 220 model

by
rewiring or parts replacement. I can see that being difficult to do
with consumer products, but is standard procedure for dealing with
equipment.

Rewiring is usually not an option, nor is a transformer with anything with a
motor in it. 60Hz motors will run 20% slower, with 20% less power and more
(20%?) heat.

We brought a US refrigerator with us and had to run it on a 100 volt
output transformer so that the compressor motor would not overheat and
burn out. It worked for 11 years before the seals went on it.

Last year I got an incubator, kept melting plastic power switches. Found out it
had the wrong heater drawing too many amps. Funny thing, the unit was made
in europe and usually comes with a 240 heater. I finally got the correct heater
element after consultation. I don't think they made many 120 volt models
and somehow screwed it up.

In todays world market, they try to make it universal whenever possible.

greg