Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default possible/easy to change an appliance to be a dual voltage one?

Hi - I have a waffle maker which is a USA 110V 1200W standard
appliance. I want to get it to work in the UK (220V) but it is almost
impossible (and very costly) to get a voltage converter that would be
able to deal with the high wattage (1200W).
Would it be possible for me to get an electrician to change the
appliance so that it can use 220V as standard so then I wouldn't need
to buy any extra voltage converter? If this was possible would this
also cost a lot to do?

many thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The only way this might be possible would be if the unit had two 110V
heating elements that could be rewired in series (rather than parallel).
This is unlikely.

You might be able to find a 220-to-110 converter for heating devices (not
motors or transformer-powered devices). This simply reduces the waveform's
duty cycle, much as a lamp dimmer does.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
wrote:
Hi - I have a waffle maker which is a USA 110V 1200W standard
appliance. I want to get it to work in the UK (220V) but it is almost
impossible (and very costly) to get a voltage converter that would be
able to deal with the high wattage (1200W).
Would it be possible for me to get an electrician to change the
appliance so that it can use 220V as standard so then I wouldn't need
to buy any extra voltage converter? If this was possible would this
also cost a lot to do?

Might be possible to change the elements if the device was sold in
countries that use this. But there might be other differences related to
safety, etc.

BTW, the 'official' voltage in the UK is 230v - to harmonise with Europe.
But in practice it is still 240v - only the allowed tolerance has changed.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi - I have a waffle maker which is a USA 110V 1200W standard
appliance. I want to get it to work in the UK (220V) but it is almost
impossible (and very costly) to get a voltage converter that would be
able to deal with the high wattage (1200W).
Would it be possible for me to get an electrician to change the
appliance so that it can use 220V as standard so then I wouldn't need
to buy any extra voltage converter? If this was possible would this
also cost a lot to do?

many thanks

I suspect it would be cost effective to simply buy a replacement waffle
maker in the UK.

Aren't they available?

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charlie wrote:
I suspect it would be cost effective to simply buy a replacement waffle
maker in the UK.

Aren't they available?

Considering the cost of electricy wasted (around 200 watts), plus the
cost of the transformer, it might be cheaper to forget about the waffle
maker entirely and go out for breakfast whenever you want waffles.

Another possibility would be one of those voltage convertors sold for
hair driers that are really just a big resistor or a diode. The biggest
problem I can anticipate with them is that the wiring of the waffle iron is
not really safe at 240 volts.

If the unit were made in the US and UL certified (the whole unit, not just
the cord), it should be insulated up to 600 volts and be ok, but if it
were made in China, all bets are off.

When we moved here (a real 230 volt 50 Hz system), from the U.S. I bought
a waffle maker, that I told my wife was both "multivoltage and multisystem"
:-) It's a heavy cast aluminum device, with a thick teflon coating and
is used over a gas flame.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just occurred to me... Stick a 15A, 300V rectifier in series with the waffle
maker.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Arfa Daily" wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
et...
In article f526294a-05e7-44c2-a850-5b2b9f67dab8
@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com, says...
Hi - I have a waffle maker which is a USA 110V 1200W standard
appliance. I want to get it to work in the UK (220V) but it is almost
impossible (and very costly) to get a voltage converter that would be
able to deal with the high wattage (1200W).
Would it be possible for me to get an electrician to change the
appliance so that it can use 220V as standard so then I wouldn't need
to buy any extra voltage converter? If this was possible would this
also cost a lot to do?

Buy a second waffle maker and hook them in series; make twice the
waffles in the same time. ;-)

Alternatively, assuming that it is a 'clam-shell' type design, it will
probably have a 110v element in both the top and bottom halves, hooked in
parallel. Convert to 220v (near enough with an item such as this to not be
of any consequence) by rewiring the internal connector block where the
wiring from each element comes together, to place the two elements in
series.

Arfa

First thing to do is contact the manufacturer and see if there is a 220 model by
rewiring or parts replacement. I can see that being difficult to do
with consumer products, but is standard procedure for dealing with
equipment.

I recently tried to contact Toastmaster consumer affairs and got
lead around to Fox International, and Salton, now I see a different company today,
Middleby, but they do have a phone #. Emailing these people is a major hassle.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:
First thing to do is contact the manufacturer and see if there is a 220 model by
rewiring or parts replacement. I can see that being difficult to do
with consumer products, but is standard procedure for dealing with
equipment.

Rewiring is usually not an option, nor is a transformer with anything with a
motor in it. 60Hz motors will run 20% slower, with 20% less power and more
(20%?) heat.

We brought a US refrigerator with us and had to run it on a 100 volt
output transformer so that the compressor motor would not overheat and
burn out. It worked for 11 years before the seals went on it.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:05:55 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Just occurred to me... Stick a 15A, 300V rectifier in series with the waffle
maker.

That would still result in twice the rated power consumption.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just occurred to me... Stick a 15A, 300V rectifier in
series with the waffle maker.

That would still result in twice the rated power consumption.

Right. Sudden inspirations aren't always correct.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:41:11 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:05:55 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Just occurred to me... Stick a 15A, 300V rectifier in series with the waffle
maker.

That would still result in twice the rated power consumption.

But much faster waffles! g (IMHO the best idea was if there were two
elements (each half) in parallel, just series 'em!)

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

But much faster waffles! g (IMHO the best idea was if there
were two elements (each half) in parallel, just series 'em!)

Which was my idea, but no one paid any attention.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13 Jan, 14:36, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
But much faster waffles! g (IMHO the best idea was if there
were two elements (each half) in parallel, just series 'em!)

Which was my idea, but no one paid any attention.

Thanks for the tip about getting a special voltage converter for
heating appliances - I searched around and I could get a travel one
from the USA designed to convert the voltage for hairdryers/curling
tongs/irons etc to be used in the UK. They cost around £16-20
including postage - so I think I will get one of these as the waffle
maker was worth much more than this.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the tip about getting a special voltage converter for
heating appliances - I searched around and I could get a travel one
from the USA designed to convert the voltage for hairdryers/curling
tongs/irons etc to be used in the UK. They cost around £16-20
including postage - so I think I will get one of these as the waffle
maker was worth much more than this.

Just make sure it has adequate capacity.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 13, 4:50*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Thanks for the tip about getting a special voltage converter for
heating appliances - I searched around and I could get a travel one
from the USA designed to convert the voltage for hairdryers/curling
tongs/irons etc to be used in the UK. They cost around £16-20
including postage - so I think I will get one of these as the waffle
maker was worth much more than this.

Just make sure it has adequate capacity.

what do you mean by capacity? sorry to be ignorant
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just make sure it has adequate capacity.

What do you mean by capacity? sorry to be ignorant.

It has to handle the current drain, which is going to be at least 5A on the
220V line.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"GregS" wrote in message

| In todays world market, they try to make it universal whenever possible.
|
| greg

Seems like cell phone makers don't believe so with their different sizes of
batteries and adaptors for chargers. Every time they come up with a new
line/model they introduce new batteries and chargers even though the voltage
and capacities remain the same as the ones for the older models.
Standardization is good for consumers but manufacturers seem to like to make
things nonstandard to force people to buy new accessories again.