Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop/ drill rechargable batterys.. methods for longer life?

In article
,
71chevyvan wrote:
after frying a couple of 14 and 18 volt batt packs for my drills i
discovered the supplied 2amp wall warts were over kill for unregulated
recharging of the batterie packs
instead i found a smaller 750ma wall wart to do the job.
now even after 2months of sitting on the shelf my new battery packs
still hold their charge.

It's plain stupid using unregulated chargers in this day and age as
electronics are cheap and overcharging kills batteries in short order.

There are plenty of sophisticated charging ICs etc available to DIY one -
but a simple constant current charger set to 1/10th the capacity and an
overnight charge is the traditional way - and can be built for pennies.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.