Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop/ drill rechargable batterys.. methods for longer life?

In article ,
krw wrote:

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

That's impossible, by definition.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:58:58 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
krw wrote:

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

That's impossible, by definition.

Nonsense.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The fact that both companies sell items for more than what it costs
to make or obtain them (which all companies have to do to stay in
business) does not bestow any form of equivalence on their businesses.

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

I think Panasonic, National Semiconductor, etc, etc, etc, would object to
having their products so-described.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
krw wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:58:58 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
krw wrote:

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

That's impossible, by definition.

Nonsense.

Is it nonsense? You can certainly "offer" to sell something for more
than it's worth. But things *are* worth what people will pay for them.
Digikey is a phenomenally successful distributor that has grown
exponentially over the last twenty five years. Millions of loyal, repeat
customers find their offerings worth the price. If not, they would have
gone out of business long ago.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:28:27 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
krw wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:58:58 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
krw wrote:

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

That's impossible, by definition.

Nonsense.

Is it nonsense? You can certainly "offer" to sell something for more
than it's worth. But things *are* worth what people will pay for them.
Digikey is a phenomenally successful distributor that has grown
exponentially over the last twenty five years. Millions of loyal, repeat
customers find their offerings worth the price. If not, they would have
gone out of business long ago.

Certainly stupidity has its price. You seem to be a prime example. I
hope your boss is smarter.

Isn't Ron Popiel is still in business?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:10:40 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

The fact that both companies sell items for more than what it costs
to make or obtain them (which all companies have to do to stay in
business) does not bestow any form of equivalence on their businesses.

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.

I think Panasonic, National Semiconductor, etc, etc, etc, would object to
having their products so-described.

Let 'em. If they choose to sell through a disty that provides zero
service at 2-10x the price, who am I to tell them otherwise. I don't
know why anyone would be stupid enough to buy other than onesies
though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob urz wrote:
Having owned many of these, i often wondered on how to get
the most lifetime out of the battery's.

I have had little used 14.4 volt drills that after 2 or 3
years the battery packs become very degraded. I this case,
the drill sits unused for a long period of time, then recharged
before next use.

Laptops, same story. occasional use, sits for awhile then used again.

Batteries are usually rated for so many cycles of recharging.
So, should it be better to constantly recharge the units,
or only charge as needed?

The charge as needed method for units that sit for awhile does not
seem to work out very well. I have a number of drill power packs
that i need to find some of those tab ni-cads for. I think there
c size or such. Anybody with tips on that let me know..

Keeping them constantly plugged in seems to me would use up
there number of charge cycles and shorten life to.

so, whats the best way to get the most out of rechargeable battery
packs?

And how can hybrid cars get 10 years out of a battery pack
when i am lucky to get 2 or 3 out of most of the packs i have?
I do see online how some of the early gen Prius packs are failing
much to the owners displeasure.

bob

after frying a couple of 14 and 18 volt batt packs for my drills i
discovered the supplied 2amp wall warts were over kill for unregulated
recharging of the batterie packs
instead i found a smaller 750ma wall wart to do the job.
now even after 2months of sitting on the shelf my new battery packs
still hold their charge.

for port dvd players etc that use a transformer wall wart for home
use replace it with a switch mode device (at the correct voltage) and
there will no longer be problems of overheating.
reason is the supplied cheap wall wart puts out way more than is
needed causing the players built in regulator to lower it to say
12volts.
heat is the byproduct.
hybrid cars have a sophisticated charger that prevents destruction
due to improper recharging.
barry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
71chevyvan wrote:
after frying a couple of 14 and 18 volt batt packs for my drills i
discovered the supplied 2amp wall warts were over kill for unregulated
recharging of the batterie packs
instead i found a smaller 750ma wall wart to do the job.
now even after 2months of sitting on the shelf my new battery packs
still hold their charge.

It's plain stupid using unregulated chargers in this day and age as
electronics are cheap and overcharging kills batteries in short order.

There are plenty of sophisticated charging ICs etc available to DIY one -
but a simple constant current charger set to 1/10th the capacity and an
overnight charge is the traditional way - and can be built for pennies.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The Prius maintains its batteries at between 50-80% of full charge.

Apparently it isn't selling as well as it was. Toyota is shutting
down its plants for 11 days over a two month period.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/toyota-to-suspend-production-for-11-days/262250

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 7, 11:46*am, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier that's been
around about 20 years. They sell no consumer products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. *Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

Try 30 years. I have a 1978 Digikey catalog - about 50 pages.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:07:39 -0000, wrote:

bob urz wrote:

[...]

And still doesn't achieve any more mpg than some non-hybrid cars. What a waste of time. I'm waiting for an ALL-electric car that can do over 70 miles range (that's my commute) and do at least 80mph. I think there is one just out, but it's £10 grand. I want a 2nd hand one.

Someday we'll look back on all this and plough into a parked car.