Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Small engine rebuild update.

stryped wrote:
On Jan 12, 1:46 pm, "David Courtney" wrote:

I got sick of f'ing around with mine (HH60) and bought a brand new $92
carb fromhttp://MandD.com
It runs like a charm with absolutely no carb tuning... bolted it on and
started it up (no electric start) in the 30 degree garage.

"stryped" wrote in message

My model number is HH60 105116H ser 23230.

I am frustrated to the point of almost giving up. I cleaned the carb
twice but I did not take the welch plug out. I am starting to wonder
if it is just that the compression is not adequate. I honed the
cylinder and put new rings on. But I did not use ring expanders under
the 2nd compression ring. When I took the engine apart it did not have
them. I tried to install them but somethign did not seem right, the
piston did not want to go in the bore.

I used all new gaskets, torgued the head in sequence, cleaned
everythign, cleaned and gapped the points, timed the engine at .080
BTDC with a dial indicator. I put so much work into this. I dont want
to give up but I am wondering if I should just buy a new engine.

It seemed to run decent in the video once I got it warmed up. But it
took a battery with a battery charger hooked up and lots of cranking a
fooling around with the choke to get it going.

I feel defeated....

http://www.usenet.com

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I knew it would fix my problem. What
worries me is the low compression.

Are you trying to run it without an air filter?. Some small engines use
an oiled foam filter and don't start well if the filter is missing or
has gotten dry and in need of a re-oiling.