Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default NooB needs HELP!!

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:18:53 -0800, Admin wrote:

Hi all,

I have this circuit that I am hope to use for HV electrolysis. It has
damaged every Mosfet and IGBT I have tried. It even damaged an IGBT
that is rated 600V and 58 amps. The circuit works without a hitch when
the load is resistive like a light bulb.

But as soon as I hook up a transformer the IGBT fails in 10 seconds. It
has trouble with inductive loads.

I have tried clamping the IGBT with a diode to no avail.

Please, somebody take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong. My
power source is and auto inverter.

Hey, with the HV supply being essentially unfiltered, and the 5:1 gate
voltage divider formed by the 4K and 1K resistors, during a lot of the
AC cycle this is a linear-mode fet fryer.

This sounds like one of those automotive Brown's gas things, in which
case the whole thing is a waste of time and silicon.

John