Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:39:33 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Kadaifi wrote:

I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

Pay him $38/hr. Charge him $350/wk for room and board.

Disagree on the room/board: we charge $350 a month just for room
(includes private bathroom and cable TV and DSL and use of laundry
facilities in basement). Let him pay for his own board out of his
hourly wages.