Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

On Jan 11, 2:56*pm, Kadaifi wrote:
I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

Umm. Unless you are 8 or more units AND have the construction being
done with state/federal money, prevailing wage is irrelevant. If you
must pay prevailing wages (aka DBRA), then you must get a wage
determination. To start that, you must know if you are paying
"residential rate" or "building rate" -- either can apply depending on
the circumstances.

If you are paying Federal prevailing wages, you can "lock" them at the
start of construction but some (all?) state wages do not lock so they
may change during construction.

Now, if you are paying prevailing wage rates because you are getting
some state/federal subsidy, remember that Federal subsidies trigger
all kinds of other niceties. For example, they will trigger lead-safe
work practices. If the cost is above $25,000; then it'll trigger
abatement.

Since you're hiring him, you also have asbestos testing requirements
under Federal law.

As for the lead, don't worry about the Fed requirements. You should
use lead-safe work practices anyway.

Good luck with it.