Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

On Jan 11, 1:56*pm, Kadaifi wrote:
I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

38 an hr, thats is union and he isnt making anything. What do locals
charge now in winter. Alot are out of work and may normaly cut their
price in winter. I never hire union. I think you might be near 14-18
in range and cheap rent but you need bids to compare and base prices
on or the work might take 20 years.