Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

"Kadaifi" wrote in message
I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with some
re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't question
his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing re-placement
windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for a
journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

I paid an out-of-work carpenter to do some major repairs here this past
fall. The rate we agreed on was $40/hr, but if I had been providing room
and board I'd probably chop $10-15 off that depending on how much he eats,
and how comfortable he becomes in your home. My guy was both skilled and
productive, so I had no problem with the rate.

Keith