Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:56:02 GMT, Kadaifi wrote:

I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

I don't know. But get a contract in writing that includes the
elements of a contrracting job...

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

And the elements of the lease.

Tell them your granfather before he died (great grandfather if your
grandfather is sill alive, father if your father's not) made you
promise to get things in writing.

The purpose of the contract is not to have something to fight him with
later on. It's to prevent fighting. It's so that both sides will
know before the job starts and while the job is going one, what their
duties are and what they will get in return. Ans so both parties will
know the same thing, becuase it's in writing, one copy for each,
signed by both.

It doesn't mean either of you is untrustworthy, but people
misunderstand, forget, and not only that, often important things are
not even discussed. No one knows what was intended.

Any thoughts?

Cogito, ergo sum.