Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

Kadaifi wrote:
I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with
some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't
question his experience.

My question is what to pay? The work might include installing
re-placement windows, re-model some bathrooms, new siding, etc.
The prevailing base wage rate established by the state (North East) for
a journey carpenter is about $38/hr.

He has no place to live so would move in here and we would provide room
and board.

Any thoughts?

BTDT. Nothing is more permanent that a relative that moves in
'temporarily'. Only you can judge- is he out of work due to the economy,
or because he is a less-than-ideal employee? Why does he have no place
to live? Not trying to pre-judge your relative, but I have a few of my
own that are skilled and experienced, but less than fully functional. If
you are going to pay 'prevailing' (aka union scale) wages, things might
be a lot more business-like if he rents a small apartment to live in,
and just stashes his tools at your place, while the work is going on. If
you have the space to put him up without pain, and you think the
after-hours time together will be pleasant or helpful, okay, but if I
was giving room and board, I wouldn't pay over 20 bucks an hour. And
speaking from sad experience- don't cut him any slack on the speed or
quality of the work- you would not be doing either of you any favors.

Standard disclaimer- you said you live in the northeast- some areas in
that part of country are notorious about being asses about permits, and
while 'owner installed' is often exempt, work done by a relative that is
temporarily residing there, but paid for his work, may make their heads
explode (especially if he isn't licensed). Best to research that before
you start, rather than being faced with having to rip out and redo.
Plus, of course, talk to your insurance agent about an appropriate rider
to your household policy, for the duration of the remodeling work.

--
aem sends...