Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine rebuild update.

stryped wrote:
Been working on this engine. Took the carb apart as others have said.
Let it soak in mineral spirits and sprayed carb cleaner in passages.
Used can air to blow out passages. Had a heck of a time once I put it
on to get it to start. It seems that once it warmed up, I was able to
get it to finally run without choke after adjusting the carb what
seems to be hundreds of times. It helped that I had a battery charge
connected to my battery. (Once I disconnect the charger it seems to
not want to start).

Turn the needles in till seated, then back them out 2.5 turns. That is
usually a good starting point.
Get it started and then adjust it for the dead spots at idle and wide
open. (adjust the low needle in till the engine starts to run poor and
then back it out till it smooths out, then throttle up gently to high
speed and adjust the high needle by turning it in till the engine starts
to die, then back it out till it acts the same way. Now turn it so it is
halfway between those two.
Now to finish the low speed, drop the speed back to idle and adjust that
needle if needed until you can snap the throttle open without the engine
bogging down as you do it.

I have a feeling that after it sits overnight, I wil not be sucessful
getting it started when it is dead cold. Also, it ocassionally
backfires and once made a loud pop out the exhaust.

I was worried maybe it did not have good compression was the reason
for trouble not starting. I did a test. Cranking with the choke closed
I got a reading of 50 psi, choke open 45 psi. Is this normal?

WAY LOW. However all is not lost. Pull the plug, hold the throttle open
while taking your reading. Then shoot a couple shots of engine oil in
the cylinder and take another reading with the throttle wide open.

When I did take the carb apart the side adjustment needle with the
spring I noticed the end was flat. I can turn that screw with it
running and it seems to have no effect on the engine. Everything else
seemed ok the best I could tell.

May be the needle has a broken tip. Check the seat or a new needle.

Where can I go from here? It is starting to get frustrating.

Here is a short video of when I had it running. DOes everything "look"
like it is right?

SO do you think my 31380c rod in place of the 34750 rod was a sucess?

Once you get it running again put a load on it so that it has to work a
bit. That will seat the rings faster.

--
Steve W.