Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Looking to rent some time on a large drum sander in Portsmouth, NH

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:52:29 -0800 (PST), jtpr
wrote:

This is my original post:
I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

I just wanted to start a different thread and get some attention to
it as I need to get it done.

Thanks,
-Jim

Jim,

First thing that I would try is looking up woodworking and furniture
repair in the yellow pages. If the places you call can't do the work,
they might be able to point you to someone who can. I've had pretty
good luck with this approach to problems in the past.

Bill