Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking to rent some time on a large drum sander in Portsmouth, NH

This is my original post:
I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

I just wanted to start a different thread and get some attention to
it as I need to get it done.

Thanks,
-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:52:29 -0800 (PST), jtpr
wrote:

This is my original post:
I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

I just wanted to start a different thread and get some attention to
it as I need to get it done.

Thanks,
-Jim

Jim,

First thing that I would try is looking up woodworking and furniture
repair in the yellow pages. If the places you call can't do the work,
they might be able to point you to someone who can. I've had pretty
good luck with this approach to problems in the past.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:52:29 +0000, jtpr wrote
(in article
):

This is my original post:
I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

I just wanted to start a different thread and get some attention to
it as I need to get it done.

Thanks,
-Jim

Friend o'mine just flattened up a huge glue-up with a floor sander. Took off
LOADS of stuff. Not my choice. Seemed to work well, though.

Anyway - how much stuff you wanna remove, i.e.is this a "planing" rather than
a 'sanding job? If so, the old router-on-rails trick might do it of you don't
mind the tedium

If it's just smoothing a flat surface.. wax on, wax off dear pupil.
Elbow grease and patience. (personally I'd use a belt, but I'd go finer on
the grit and KEEP IT MOVING. Diagonal to the grain.)

More cleverer folk may have more cleverer advice. Use their wisdom and profit
by it.

Sanding floorboards - Drum Sander and or Edge Sander John UK diy 10 September 2nd 05 06:43 AM
Sanding floorboards - Drum Sander and or Edge Sander John UK diy 1 September 1st 05 07:08 PM
Drum Sander Jim Staley Woodturning 4 August 25th 05 07:57 AM
Making a drum sander, problem truing the drum Larry Bud Woodworking 13 February 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Shop Built Wide belt sander vs Shop Built Drum sander....Whats easyer to make. Im no engineer. mememme Woodworking 0 August 25th 03 03:01 PM