Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Adding missing SATA connectors to motherboard

kony wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:58:42 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n
curly" wrote:

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

you could SIMPLY go BUY another, proper motherboard.

That would entail a 500' walk to Fry's Electronics.

Uphill both ways!

I live in Phoenix. What do you mean by "hill"?

I don't see any problem except possibly an active termination voltage
regulator, but because differential signals are involved, I assume
that only ordinary resistors are used.

The resistors you could probably just measure, since they're
present for the other two ports. "IF" all other elements of
doing this were in place, at most the bios would have the
feature hidden but still present logically if the capability
were otherwise present.

Are nVidia 430 and 410 pin-compatible, at least enough that
ECS did what they do best, economized by using the same PCB
layout for either possibility? That seems to be the
problem, use of 410 chipset which only supports 2 SATA ports
instead of 430 chipset which supports 4. Unless nVidia is
pulling a fast one and 410 is just a whole 430 chip
rebranded that manufacturers have agreed not to implement
all 4 SATA ports on, it seems having the 410 is the
show-stopper.

This mobo has an nVidia 405 chipset.
You've made the case for me to give up on this project.