Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Adding missing SATA connectors to motherboard

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 06:57:06 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

I have some motherboards designed for 4-6 SATA ports, but only 2 SATA
connectors were installed, and I'd like to add the missing connectors
plus any needed termination resistors.
Here's an example with an ECS GeForce 6100SM-M v. 1.0 motherboard:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/...b349938d_o.jpg

What are the values of the missing resistors? I thought that each
pair of SATA data lines needed one 100 ohm resistor between them, but
on this circuit board the resistors seem to be arranged differently.

There is usually a bit more to it than simply attaching the SATA
connectors. The BIOS ALSO has to support it, and since THAT MOBO did NOT
have those ports, you will not be able to find a BIOS for that MOBO that
will have those ports in it. SO even with the right parts, the BIOS on
the model MOBO does not support your "need".

After all the hours you would spend,

Hours??? Similar mods in the past took me 20 minutes, including the
time to desolder the parts from a junked mobo.

you could SIMPLY go BUY another, proper motherboard.

That would entail a 500' walk to Fry's Electronics.

That is, unless your personal time is only worth
minimum wage. In that case, you will likely fail for other reasons.

My personal time is worth a couple hundred bucks an hour,

If I got paid that much, I'd also take hours to do this job.

This is an exercise in futility, not to mention a big waste of time,
even if all you needed to install was the connector. Just sourcing the
right part alone might be difficult, since they do NOT all match.

I don't see any problem except possibly an active termination voltage
regulator, but because differential signals are involved, I assume
that only ordinary resistors are used.

Just curious: How many times have you done mods like this?