Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Need advice on making flooring

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm being lazy.
Are you saying he'll get more for selling it and buying ready made?

Probable not, but when you consider the difference between what he can
sell the lumber for verses the cost of the flooring, the time to mill
the lumber, the probable loss due to warpage/twisting and lumber
defects I don't think milling the lumber to flooring would be worthwhile.

That's kind of why I jokingly asked if this group was called,
"woodworking."

Depends on what worthwhile means to each of us. None of us would do any
woodworking for ourselves if the only measurement was financial,
measuring our time against what else we could be doing with that time to
make money.

Most of us like the, "hey, I did that!" factor of woodworking.

snip

I like the "hey, I did that!" factor only when the results look good.

When flooring is milled first the major defects are removed from the
stock. The lumber is them milled into various lengths. Once milled it
is then sorted into categories depending on the quality of each piece
with "select" being the best and "utility" being the worse. Once sorted
pieces of similar quality and characteristics are bundled together and
sold priced accordingly by grade. Unless one has a huge amount of stock
to work with, when you mill your own flooring you get whatever the
lumber you have on hand yields. It won't be all "select".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA