Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Need advice on making flooring

I like the "hey, I did that!" factor only when the results look good.

When flooring is milled first the major defects are removed from the
stock. The lumber is them milled into various lengths. Once milled it
is then sorted into categories depending on the quality of each piece
with "select" being the best and "utility" being the worse. Once sorted
pieces of similar quality and characteristics are bundled together and
sold priced accordingly by grade. Unless one has a huge amount of stock
to work with, when you mill your own flooring you get whatever the
lumber you have on hand yields. It won't be all "select".

Yes, I see what you're saying.
It all depends on what you're going for.
I've seen some gorgeous floors made from old, recycled barn board that
was all knotting and full of worm holes and beat up to Hades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--