Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Need advice on making flooring

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote:

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 4:54 pm, Wes wrote:

Checkout commercially available maple flooring. Widths are in the 3
to 10" range.

http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/55400.html

A table saw would be a little tricky..... better way......a shaper or
router table (but your router better be a beast)

cheers
Bob

Personally, I'd go anywhere form 3-6 inch width (plus tongue)... or
variable (maintaining the same width in a given course) to best use the
stock available. Just about anybody (even Sears) has 1/2" shank T&G sets.
I agree, the router better be up to the task. Depending on the size of the
floor, it's going to get a workout. Also, I wouldn't get too whipped up
over the planing. I'd get it pretty smooth but I'd tweak that by sanding
after installation.

The router I'd use is an Hitachi HV12, I think it is fairly stout. Good point on sanding
after installation. I've run a drum sander a few times.

So I guess I need to finish the router table come spring. First things first.

Thanks,

Wes