Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Blown-In Insulation Question

Joe wrote:

On Jan 9, 11:30*am, Larry Weil wrote:

-snip-
the walls. *The walls have vinyl siding, and the only insulation is the
foam board under the siding. *A couple of years ago I had the bathtub
replaced, and when it was out I could see the sheathing with no
insulation on the inside.

-snip-
These systems use plugs to seal up the siding holes after the
insulation is blown in. Had it done on an old house of ours and the
plugs looked awful. The insulation, however, worked great. Treated
cellulose fiber is more common in our area, and it does settle.
Fiberglass loses R value if compacted too much; that may be a concern.

I prefer cellulose myself- but if the contractor prefers fiberglass
I'd rather have a well done job with fiberglass than an 'ok' job with
cellulose. It is a bit of an art to pack it well enough to not
settle- but loose enough to still insulate.

Be sure the contractor is going to lift the vinyl & drill holes only
in the wood siding underneath. [you might need to wait until spring so
the vinyl doesn't just crack all to hell]

BTW, I called three insulation contractors, and the one that came was
the only one of the three that bothered to return my call. *Why do these
guys bother to advertise if theyıre not going to return your call?

a) They have more work than they can handle.
b) Taking time to call takes time from the work.
c) If you call a second time they'll know you're serious.
d) The further east and the bigger the city, the less courteous people
are.

I agree with a,b,c
If the appearance of the siding is important, the alternative is
redoing the drywall and using standard fiberglass batts on the inside.

Or doing the holes on the inside-- it tears up the whole inside- but
this time of year might be an option.

Jim