Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

In article
,
terry wrote:

this same item was posted on a news group populated
by those from a European country.

I don't suppose you can reveal that newsgroup. sigh

Their response were, if anything more factual, giving examples of
communities who do and do not turn off their street lights after
certain times, at night. Along with generally sensible comments and
references and quotes from newspaper articles about street light
situations. Also some technical comments about street lighting
techniques, retrofitting older and/or newer street lighting systems.

There was very little (or nothing) in the way of smart-alecky or nasty
commnets.

Oh, BAD us. snivel Can't we all just get along?

An interesting debate however, from both the North American
posting here and that other one.

I'd LOVE to read it - the measured, level-headed, polite thread from the
continent widely known for universal tranquility and cooperation.

BTW; a detail.

But no citation. Nice. :\

Some communities install street and other lighting that minimizes
light pollution upwards, directing a greater percentage of the light
downwards and onto the areas where it is most effective.

Oh, please.

The only street, parking lot or other lighting fixture I have *EVER*
seen that is NOT directing its output down is one that is DAMAGED - or
directed at another, Earthbound item, i.e. flag, sign, etc.

One benefit is to assist astronomical observations.

The folks at Mount Palomar are grateful, I'm sure.

Regardless, the best astronomical observatory has been orbiting our
planet for 18 years. Unfettered by earthly light "pollution" gag and
atmospheric distortion (bring back CFCs for the benefit of ground-based
observersg), Hubble has peered further and deeper into the cosmos,
mostly for the benefit of countless computer displays of cool wallpapers
and slideshows.

It's after 1.00 AM here and in this community with some 300-400
municipally financed street lights nothing moves

....and those lights are PRECISELY WHY nothing moves.

It must be all the lattes, bean sprouts, tofu and other soy "food" that
have caused so many formerly, presumably intelligent folks to buy into
ALL the "green" hype. When it comes simply to "energy consumption",
it's all bad. There is no consideration given to cause and effect,
collateral benefit vs detriment and historical evidence of value.

Our electrcity is hydro generated so there is actually no change in
pollution/global warming by the consumption of the electricity

Perhaps, but what about the poor, oppressed FISH? Has the dam operator
installed "ladders" yet? Have they yet installed discharge water
coolers so that the fish don't gather near the outlet because they
prefer the warmth? What about the vaunted Snail Darter?

as would be the case with burning coal or other fossil fuel..

My local power utility recently had the nerve to reveal they were
considering building another nuke. Progress is being made, albeit
slowly, no thanks to the late operators (experimenters) of Chernobyl and
Hanoi Jane's alarmist movie.

Not to worry, though: There will always be SOMETHING to keep
environmentalist extremists mad and militant. Come to think of it, if
they REALLY wished to curb CO2 emission, they'd shut up. Fat chance.
Fortunately, there are few enough of them to make much difference in
that regard.
--

JR