Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
Jimw wrote:

A long time ago, SOME of us learned that constantly turning-on
and turning-off a lamp was usually more expensive than leaving
it on. This hasn't changed.

This is bull****.

Sez you.

Turning on and off an incadescent light
does not use more energy

I never said it did. I said it "was usually more expensive than leaving
it on." There IS a difference. Figure it out, if possible.

I think you must be referring to shortening the life of an inccandescent
bulb by more frequent on-off cyscles and factoring the cost of bulb
replacement into the picture.

I'll agree that was probably true back when electricity was relatively
much cheaper than it is now, but I suspect what you learned back then
might not be true in today's world.
Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia