Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Exterior Wood Door

"Tim W" writes:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
It was fairly clear that the post was concerning
"how to build a exterior door", which is certainly
not a trivial or reasonable thing to expect from what
appears to be a complete novice.

Why didn't you explain the typical cost involved in
such a project ?

(1) Finding clear and perfect kiln dried lumber
(2) Tools and shop setup for door making
(3) Special tools required for all door hardware.
(4) Door hardware
(5) Knowledge of how to hang the door in what is
almost certainly not a perfect opening.
(6) Proper finish
(7) door making skill set

The tool set required for the lockset and hinges
is several hundred dollars.

Exactly what would he be saving ?

There is any number of companies that make
the "correct" door for any age house

Sorry Pat I sounded rude. I wasn't thinking about cost or skill, only the
resposibility of owning a historic building, and not putting off-the-shelf
modern joinery in an old house.

Tim w

Of course, just because a house is old, doesn't make it historic. Many homes
from that time period (1860's) were log cabins with rather crude doors.

scott