Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

In article
,
"TKM" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:21:46 GMT, "TKM" wrote:

How about this logic? If light reduces crime, why isn't crime, especially
household robbery, substantially lower during the daylight hours?

Some people are home during the day and report crimes, when robbed?

Well, yes. Around my urban area, about half the homes are occupied with
people who work at home, retirees, etc.
My home has been robbed twice in the last 30 years. Once it was a kid who
took a bicycle from an open garage. I reported that right away and he was
caught. The other was more serious and involved 3-4 people looking for
small stuff to sell for drugs. They kicked in the back door and took
whatever they could find and wrapped everything in pillow cases and sheets
from our bed. They even went through the boxes in the attic. A neighbor
saw them and called police. We got our stuff back; but the thieves were
never caught.

Both robberies were in daylight and this, overall, is not a high-crime area.

TKM

Neither incident was a robbery. Both were burglaries.