Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

The next time you are in a plane landing at night,
advise the Captain that you'd like the airport to
turn off their lights to save energy.

I actually don't think he was referring to runway lighting

Agreed. I simply couldn't let pass the irony of "saving energy" while
riding in an aircraft.

just the general amount of light emanating from a city at night.

I know EXACTLY what the OP was referring to. I rode a Lear at night
from Denver to Omaha. We followed I-80 almost closely. One could
EASILY see the communities along the route from their ahem WASTE light.

runway lights at many smaller airports *are* controlled
by the incoming pilot.

....and you can bet they turn them ON when taking-off or landing after
dark.
--

JR