Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:25:58 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

Often wondered why street lights on all night. Wasted energy etc. Also
unnecessary pollution where electrcity is generated by coal or other
fossil fuel. Could save some small municipalities some cost?

I guess it would be better to have them on during the day?

Just why do you suppose we have street lights?

But we have too many lights were no one is using them. Look at the empty
parking lots and building that are well lit at midnight. Every time I'm in
a plane landing at night, I just marvel at the waste of electricity. Motion
detectors would make sense, At least reduced lighting in many places.

The scavengers that harvest other people's goods after midnight, would
dearly love a blackout period. The 3rd shift cops, not so much. Visit a
military base to see dark sky. Most of them have few if any
streetlights, other than in family housing. Makes finding the BOQ lotsa
fun if you get the main gate after dark. Military bases aren't real big
on street and building signs legible by anyone over 25 years old, either.

--
aem sends...