Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wiring - can this be done

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:54:08 -0800 (PST), coloradotrout
wrote:

On Jan 7, 9:01Â*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 06:29:36 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

wrote in message
I strongly agree! The Long Ranger is the most simple solution and it's
cost effective when you consider the extra wiring and specialized
switches need to implement your plan. Plus, it will be extremely easy
to use, which is really the most important thing.

When I bought mine, it came with two fobs. Â*I velcroed one to the table saw and
the other to the band saw. Â*That makes my dust collector accessible from two
different parts of my shop. Â*Staggering the turn-ons has meant I don't have to
worry about popping breakers.

My only regret to the Long Ranger is that I should have bought it many
years ago. Â*I got the 240v version to control my PennState 1.5HP DC.

I 2nd the Long Ranger acquisition!

I ppd getting one for years. Dumbest choice I've made. I got one
last Christmas for myself - best present ever (please don't share this
with the rest of my family!). IMO - if you have a dust collector,
and you have any sort of piping system - even if it's 2 drops -get the
Long Ranger. I got mine from Amazon (made by PSI) for $50 or close.
I just toss the remote in my pocket. I have a 1.5hp DC, but wired it
220v. Later I can upgrade and keep the LR. I've designed a central
sysem with very short runs and gates near or right on each tool. You
need short runs with a 1.5HP unit and you need 6" lines. My TS,
jointer, BS, and miter box will be no more than 12' from the DC.

The exhaust extractor in my brother's auto shop is a similar
application. I wired it with low voltage pushbuttons and a "galloping
ghost" type relay.
Energize onece, it's on. Energize again, it's off.
It has a 3 watt red light to indicate when it is on, and a pushbutton
(doorbell switch) at each exhaust connection.

If he had a remote control setup the guys would be constantly loosing
them or backing over them with vehicles or creapers.