Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_4_] Steve Barker[_4_] is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

UHHH duh...... can you spell S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y???? a car lot is much
less likely to be vandalized if the lot is lit so the little *******s can be
seen.

"Jimw" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 06:03:02 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:25:58 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

Often wondered why street lights on all night. Wasted energy etc. Also
unnecessary pollution where electrcity is generated by coal or other
fossil fuel. Could save some small municipalities some cost?

I guess it would be better to have them on during the day?

Just why do you suppose we have street lights?

But we have too many lights were no one is using them. Look at the empty
parking lots and building that are well lit at midnight. Every time I'm
in
a plane landing at night, I just marvel at the waste of electricity.
Motion
detectors would make sense, At least reduced lighting in many places.

What gets me are these car dealers who leave lights on all night, and
lots of the very high powered types too. WHY? I dont know about you,
but even if I am looking to buy a car, I dont shop for them at night.
I understand where these dealers want some security lights, but all
they would need would be a few low powered spot lights. They dont
need to make it look like daytime, which is precisely what they do.
I think this is one of the biggest energy wastes of all. Even if they
want lights in the early evening for people who want to look at their
cars, a timer could shut these lights off at 10pm or something. Of
course those of us buying cars are paying for all the excessive wasted
power.