Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Woody[_6_] Woody[_6_] is offline

Default Preferred hollowing tool(s)

robo hippy wrote:
You didn't say how deep you were hollowing. If you have one of the
tools that has a 1/4 inch shaft, then you can go 2 or so inches deep
without chattering. You can go maybe 4 inches at the most, but only in
the most experienced hands. Think of it this way, how far can you
reach out with a gouge of scraper before it gets difficult? With a 3/4
inch shaft, you can go 6 inches or so fairly comfortably, and deeper
with care and a light touch. With a 1 1/2 inch shaft, you can go maybe
18 inches. What you need depends on how deep you want to go. Another
excuse to buy more tools/toys.

Geez, and I thought I'd been thorough ;-)

The Sorby I've got probably has a 1/4"-5/16" shaft. The vessel I'm
hollowing is about 4" deep. Pretty narrow throat (maybe an 1") so I can
probably get a 3/4" shaft through but not much more.

Of the hollowing tools out there, I have the Monster articulated
hollowing system (you can web search that one) for smaller pieces (6
to 8 inches max) and a captured system for deeper ones. For cutters, I
prefer the McNaughton hollowing blades. You can be pretty agressive
with it, but it isn't really good for a slick clean finish cut. You
don't have to adjust for different angles on your form, you just
change blades. For the finish cut, I prefer one of the micro grain
carbide discs, available from Hunter tools, The Eliminator, and
Monster has one as well. They work at a shear/skewed angle, and give a
cleaner cut. A laser pointer is a great help as well. The Monster has
a great one, and the articulated system is so easy to use. Saves a lot
of time checking with calipers. When I got my Monster system, I had an
adapter made so I could use all my other cutters in it. With the
longer shafted 3/4 inch bars, it does chatter a bit, but is great with
the 1/2 inch bars.

robo hippy

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the hollowing systems, but will
need to wait. Can't justify ~$400 to finish my first form. Sounds like
getting a heavier bar will go some way to helping with chatter.

~Mark.