Norm Underwood

Default crown molding problem

"nemo" wrote in message
om...
Attach the crown molding to the ceiling only *not* to the cabinets.
Then, as the cabinets settle, you won't see the gap because they

will
simply slide against the crown. If you attach them to the cabinets,
they'll pull away from the ceiling.

Will the cabinets really settle significantly? I'm going to screw them
to 80 year old studs.

Gravity - it's not just a good idea -- it's the law.

How would I best attach the molding to a plaster-lathe ceiling?

If the joists run parallel, use them, if not, put a backer up and either
molly it or liquid nail it up. I've also had success with an air nailer
in wood lathe.

How can I attach the crown to the unlevel ceiling and still have it
line up with the cabinets?

Shim it and caulk it.