Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

On 7 Jan, 14:43, Huge wrote:
On 2009-01-07, Jules wrote:

(I really don't know why they've never
"invented" catseyes over here - I can understand the cost of lighting and
associated power infrastructure, but putting a few bits of reflective
glass in the road doesn't exactly seem hard)

I know exactly why. (My parents live in Pennsylvania). The snow ploughs tear
them out of the road.

In bits of Northern Continental Europe I have travelled in, plastic
posts are fixed either side of the carriageway, with a patch of white
reflective material one side and yellow t'other. They nicely delineate
the carriageway when there's snow on the ground.

On minor roads, bamboo sticks are stuck in the ground/snow at
intervals each side of the carriageway, with a strip of white
reflective material wrapped around near the top. They seem to be
replaced every so often as necessary.

Cheers,

Sid