Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:25:58 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

Often wondered why street lights on all night. Wasted energy etc. Also
unnecessary pollution where electrcity is generated by coal or other
fossil fuel. Could save some small municipalities some cost?

I guess it would be better to have them on during the day?

Just why do you suppose we have street lights?

But we have too many lights were no one is using them. Look at the empty
parking lots and building that are well lit at midnight. Every time I'm in
a plane landing at night, I just marvel at the waste of electricity. Motion
detectors would make sense, At least reduced lighting in many places.