Chris and Patsy

Default Bent crankshaft

Dave

The wife did the same thing to our 5hp B & S mower a couple of years ago, I
was quoted around £75 for a new crank !
I stripped the engine down and the workshop where I work tried straightening
it but it was too far gone.
I then happened to be down our tip (do I mean recycling centre ?) and
spotted an old mower with a same series engine, got it for a fiver.
This engine was far more worn than mine, the crank bearings where scoured
but I swapped the crank over and its still running fine now.

Chris

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
Damn 'n blast. Hit one of the larger rocks (bed rock...) in the "lawn"
with the blade of the rotary mower the other week. Sheared the
locating pins on the diecast boss, neat I though saves the engine.

Got a new boss and blade and fitted them, started it up and boy is
there a lot of vibration. Check the new blade for balance OK. Dreaded
thought output shaft bent, mower up on blocks, engine started. Oh
dear... there is the shaft wobbling nicely by about 3/16". The B&S
10D900 series engine is "lumpy" and hunts but then it has no load,
with the blade fitted and a short run of mowing it didn't seem to bad
considering the vibration...

What does the panel think are the chances of:

a) Straighting the shaft in stitue.
b) Other engine damage.

--
Cheers