JackD

Default To rewire, and how?

"bummster" wrote in message
I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny

1) The motor will run slightly better at 220V as there is less loss with
higher voltages. Is it worth it? Well only you can answer that as we don't
know if your tablesaw is performing well enough for your use right now. The
difference will be noticeable if you are doing heavy cutting, but it won't
be huge.

2) If you rewire the motor you are likely to need a new switch and you may
need new wire as well. You will need a different plug and receptacle. The
cost for cord, receptacle and plug could be anywhere from$25 to $60
depending on how long the cord is and what quality of plug and receptacle
you get. I don't know what a 220V switch would cost. But it is likely to be
a fair amount.

3) If you are satisfied with the way the saw is cutting then I suggest that
you stick with what you have. If you are not satisfied then total the cost
of how much it would cost to upgrade. You might find that it may be worth
moving a step up to a more powerful motor rather than optimizing the one you
have.

-Jack